When outlook does not respond and will not open, it’s often solved by opening Outlook in Safe Mode. Here is a good article on how to do this:
Sometimes add-ins can conflict with Outlook. Starting Outlook in safe mode, which starts Outlook without add-ins loaded, can tell you if an add-in is the problem.
Note: If you enabled an ABBYY FineReader add-in, an outdated version of the software might cause an Outlook startup error. For more information, see Office programs may crash with the FineReader add-in installed.
Start Outlook in safe mode
- Choose Start > Run.
- Type Outlook /safe, and choose OK.
- In the Choose Profiles dialog box, accept the default setting of Outlook and choose OK.
- If prompted, enter your password and choose Accept.
- How do you know you’re working in safe mode? You’ll see a label similar to the one below at the top of the screen.
- The Outlook icon on your taskbar also alerts you the program isn’t operating normally.
If Outlook does start in safe mode, then the problem is likely with one of your add-ins. You’ll need to disable all of your add-ins before restarting Outlook.